- balance sheet
- an important business document that shows what a business owns and owes as of the date shown. Essentially a " balance sheet" is a list of business assets and their cost on one side and a list of liabilities and owners' equity (investment in the business) on the other side with the amount for each. The liabilities include all that the business owes. Glossary of Business Terms————Also called the statement of financial condition, it is a summary of a company's assets, liabilities ( liability), and owners' equity. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary————A statement of a company's financial position at a given point in time. It details the assets of the company and how these assets are being financed. Financing is broken down into two major categories, namely shareholders' funds and liabilities. Due to the way in which the balance sheet is prepared, total assets always equals total finance, i.e. the balance sheet will balance. Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein financial glossary————The balance sheet forms part of a company's annual report and accounts. It is a summary of the company's assets, liabilities and shareholders funds. Financial Services Glossary————One of the main components of a company's financial statements, the balance sheet provides an overview of the company's assets (what it owns) and liabilities (what it owes) at the end of a financial year. London Stock Exchange Glossary
* * *a document showing a company's financial position and wealth at a particular time, often the last day of its financial year:
• The company performed well last year, and has a healthy balance sheet with a good amount of cash.
• a strong balance sheet
• a clean balance sheet (= without debt or without too much debt )ˈoff-balance ˌsheet adjective [only before a noun] ACCOUNTINGoff-balance sheet items, activities, debts etc are ones that a company does not need to show on its balance sheet, but in notes added to it:
• The leasing company said a Chinese airline has signed for an aircraft operating lease - a relatively short-term, off-balance sheet rental.
* * *An accounting statement of a company's assets and liabilities, provided for the benefit of shareholders and regulators. It gives a snapshot, at a specific point of time, of the assets that the company holds and how the assets have been financed.
* * *balance sheet UK US noun [C]► ACCOUNTING a financial statement that shows a company's assets and debts at a particular time: healthy/strong/weak balance sheet »
He points out that the company has the strongest balance sheet among all the farm-machinery giants.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
balance sheet — bal·ance sheet n: a statement of financial condition at a given date Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster. 1996. balance sheet … Law dictionary
Balance sheet — Balance Bal ance (b[a^]l ans), n. [OE. balaunce, F. balance, fr. L. bilanx, bilancis, having two scales; bis twice (akin to E. two) + lanx plate, scale.] 1. An apparatus for weighing. [1913 Webster] Note: In its simplest form, a balance consists… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
balance sheet — balance sheets N COUNT A balance sheet is a written statement of the amount of money and property that a company or person has, including amounts of money that are owed or are owing. Balance sheet is also used to refer to the general financial… … English dictionary
balance sheet — n a statement of how much money a business has earned and how much money it has paid for goods and services ▪ a healthy balance sheet … Dictionary of contemporary English
balance sheet — balance ,sheet noun count a written statement showing the value of a company at a particular time … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
balance sheet — [n] financial statement including gains and losses for a period account, annual report, assets and liabilities, budget, ledger, report; concepts 271,332 … New thesaurus
balance sheet — ► NOUN ▪ a written statement of the assets, liabilities, and capital of a business … English terms dictionary
balance sheet — n. a statement summarizing the financial status of an individual or a business by showing assets, liabilities, etc. at a given date … English World dictionary
Balance sheet — Accountancy Key concepts Accountant · Accounting period · Bookkeeping · Cash and accrual basis · Cash flow management · Chart of accounts … Wikipedia
Balance sheet — Also called the statement of financial condition, it is a summary of the assets, liabilities, and owners equity. The New York Times Financial Glossary * * * balance sheet ˈbalance ˌsheet noun [countable] ACCOUNTING a document showing a company s… … Financial and business terms